Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Massanutten BX, Part 2/Blizzard in Maine

Sunday was another good race day. Whitney tried to get in a group with the men but it didn't work out. She had a bit more competition but still won her races by a lot. The weather was interesting - a couple of light passing showers, sun which made it very warm, but mostly it was cloudy. A too warm day so the conditions were not the best. Still it was a fun day.

A total of four gold medals for the weekend. It was really nice to catch up with her old coaches and she had fun with the Massanutten kids. Probably the best part of the weekend for her was getting actual coaching. That has been such a struggle for her this year. A good race weekend.

The interesting twist to the weekend was the blizzard that was gearing up in Maine. Whitney flew from Portland to Baltimore and was planning on returning the same way. Didn't happen. She got an email Saturday night that her Sunday night flight was cancelled. We called and rescheduled it for Monday afternoon. She got an email Sunday late morning that THAT flight was cancelled. I called from the top of the race course (I'm glad there's good cell service at Massanutten, even on the ski slopes) and rescheduled her for Monday night. We figured that would be good. The snow was supposed to stop by 5pm so the late night flight should be able to get out. How wrong we were! I went about my day, helped Sarah with school then went to the chiropractor. Whitney called me while I was on my way home to say that her flight was cancelled again.

On to plan B. I did call to see if we could rebook her but there were only two flights going to Portland today (Tuesday) and both were full so I just got our money back for the flight. We packed up her stuff, I threw some things together, took care of a few things at home and we hit the road. Since we didn't leave Virginia until almost 3pm, we were only planning on getting to Portsmouth, NH. The drive wasn't bad, a bit of traffic here and there and in Hartford they were working on snow removal from the highway. We found a hotel in Portsmouth, got some sleep and hit the road by 8am to head to Portland. We stopped at the airport to pick up her car then went to Sunday River.

I had hoped to stay and watch her race tomorrow but they're supposed to get another foot of snow, possibly more tomorrow/tomorrow night so I'm getting out while I can. Hopefully the snow will hold off for a while so they can get the race in.

No comments:

Post a Comment